Ad Cash

Saturday, May 22, 2021

Fungus Mutates Cicada Brains Deletes Genitalia!

Well I have to say I am glad I am not a bug, like the Cicada.  Especially at this moment.  Imagine getting ready to emerge after 17 years then finding out you can't get it on with your mate because you have no genitals.

That is the reality for the Cicada's that get this disease called Massospora fungus. The fungus attacks the brain and causes the cicada to develop a plug replacing the genitals. The eventual end is the death of the Cicada. Massospora fungus only attacks the 13 and 17 year periodical Cicada.
There is a bit of a silver lining though.  If you can call an infection rate of 5% of the Cicada population a silver lining.  Now I can not compare this to the pandemic that would be too much of a stretch but I can say that if I would be in this position I would not be a happy camper.  The other interesting thing is that the Cicadas that are infected don't know until it's much too late or just plain don't know they are dying until, well they die.

There is research being done to figure out what is going on in the Cicada  population re the fungus.  Until then the lowly Cicada is on its own.

Mixed nuts is a site designed to bring interesting subjects, sites and stories to light.  I try to post on a regular schedule.  Thanks for stopping by this blog and come back to see what else is new.  

Cliff T.


Technorati Article re Brains and Fungus / Cicada


No comments: